Welcome to my blog. Feel free to search around the archives for some great pictures and what led up to now.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

ABS Local Phoenix Rock Gym

On Friday night, 4-1 Field Artillery Battalion had their post-deployment ball.  Military events like this are an excuse for the women to get dressed up fancy, and the men to get drunk in public.  I, however, was not drinking because I had a competition.  At 4:00 AM Saturday morning I woke up and got dressed for our trip.  At 4:45, we hit the road.  It's been 3 years since I have competed and I was a little nervous.  These local comps are pretty low-key though and I was more nervous about disappointing myself.


We started the drive and luckily for me, I had great travel companions to drive while I slept a little more.


I got to the comp and it was like I had never left.  I actually felt a little more relaxed than I used to be.


The setting there was pretty burly and so I stuck to a lot of the more delicate crimpy stuff.


After getting enough problems to establish a decent score, I decided to work on some of their harder stuff.


There were some really hard problems that I really liked there.


I guess that is the problem with comps though.  If you don't get it during the competition, you may not get a chance to work on it again.


That is when I have to consciously go to my gym and set something like it.  That way I work on my weaknesses.


Luckily for me, there happened to be enough problems my style to get first place.  Next competition is in Albuquerque.  Lots more training to do until then.

1 comment:

  1. Rock climbing is the best thing for your body. It works all sorts of muscle groups and it's really fun. I live in Arizona and I got to the Phoenix rock gym about every other week and do some rock climbing.

    ReplyDelete