Welcome to my blog. Feel free to search around the archives for some great pictures and what led up to now.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Trolls

Being no spring chicken to the internet world, I am used to trolls in every topic across the internet.  Every topic except climbing.  There are people that get flamed when they make stupid comments that Chris Sharma sucks or Fred Nicole is a little girl, but usually there aren't trolls like this in a legit discussion group.  Today I was proven wrong, however. (Content Warning)

I was commenting on a discussion about how someone was burning trees, illegally bolting, and chipping in Joshua Tree, California.  I understand that there is a free-spirited aspect to climbing, but the reality is, we live in a world with rules and in order to keep our freedom, we must abide by these rules when we do encounter them.  I am not offended by the fact that Mr. Yuppie here disagreed with my opinion, nor by the manner he chose to express it.  Merely by the fact that he would pollute the minds of young climbers that would read this and think it is better to behave the way the person did in J-Tree. Groups like the Access Fund would not exist if there wasn't a problem.  It is our responsibility to maintain places like Hueco for future generations.

2 comments: