Welcome to my blog. Feel free to search around the archives for some great pictures and what led up to now.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What is a Climber?

I read a forum question on Mountain Project today that piqued my interest.  It is something that I have caught myself scoffing at some and completely overlooking it with others, yet I had never really questioned why.  The question is, what is a climber?  Who is allowed to use this title? Is that even what it is?  I have, in the past, had people come up to me after finding out that I climb, telling me they know some friend of a friend that is a "climber."  Sometimes I even happen upon the selfproclaimed Climber.  While I was in Afghanistan, I came across another El Pasoan that claimed to be a climber.  He told me that he loved to climb but had only been out to Hueco Tanks once because it was "pretty lame."  I know that every hobby has this imaginary line they draw between the purist and the occasionals.  For me, it is more of a mindset.  It all comes down to why you participate.  Lance Armstrong is a cyclist, but is the paper boy on your block?  I would be interested in what people think about this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment